[CF-Devel] skills bug

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Feb 25 17:20:53 CST 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 04:24 am, Todd Mitchell wrote:

      If watching people do stuff gave you skills then everyone would be an

      expert actor, hockey or(insert your sport here) player, musician and public

      speaker from watching TV and other perfomers.  A large part of skills is

      practice.

A large part of skills is practice, but a part of skills is being shown how to
do it in the first place.  Watching experts is not as good as practicing it
yourself, but you do learn something if you are watching carefully and the
person you are watching is trying to teach you.

In game terms, if you are in a party, you do nothing while a party member uses
a skill, and the party member is better at the skill than you, then you get
some small fraction of their experience in that skill.  If you are busy doing
something yourself, then you only get experience for what you are doing.
Intelligence could probably have something to do with it.  A really dumb
warrior could never learn anything about magic, no matter how much you show
him.

On the other hand, I have not looked at the code, I have no idea how hard it
is to figure out who in the party is doing nothing when xp is spread through
the party.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com