[CF-Devel] crossfire -detach command-line option

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Jul 18 22:36:45 CDT 2004

Kevin R. Bulgrien wrote:

      Ok.  Did not even know about them.   crossloop does not seem to

      handle stuff like "service crossloop stop".  Is there any issue with

      a server going down too fast so that crossfire would not go down

      cleanly?  Not having enough time to do it's save when it gets

      killed?

  Unlikely - it doesn't do that much cleanup when going down:
1) saves at all player files who are currently on line.
2) saves out any unique map information.
3) saves out some small amount of other data.

  Now this obviously depends on the system, but in my cases, I'd say that from
the time the process receives the hup signal to it exiting is less than a second.

      (Shrug)  Ok.  -detach was nice because it was easy to plainly

      set up a script to do simple start/stop/status type stuff on a

      local homebrew server that isn't necessarily run 24/7.   I used

      to do this with crossfire a year and a half or so ago.  From

      what I can see, the crossloop scripts are pretty basic except

      that they do handle restarts/cores, nicely.  Maybe I can work

      one of them over and get what I was looking for.

  yes - that is the main advantage of the crossloop scripts - the restart on crash.

  I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to have the crossloop script write out a
/var/run/crossfire.pid file, and keep updating it as it restarts the server (or
maybe just have crossfire do it itself, as then it has all the configure
information and might have a better idea where to write it).  Then at least the
stop functionality is easy to do.

  One could of course do this with pkill/pgrep, but there are potential issues
if there are other process that might have crossfire in their name (eg,
usernames or whatever else).

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com