[CF-Devel] Weather level 5 (Re: Weather needs smoothing)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Jul 30 12:34:10 CDT 2004

Weather code, IMO, need a complete redo. The guy who coded this, i think had
too great ambitions for a MORPG. When you look at code you see it simulate
seasons, humidity, temperature, wind, gulf stream (no you are not dreaming),
altitude, and am not sure but probably earth rotation.

All this to tell you the code is far too heavy and has become to complicated
to manage. Already tried to fix leaks, improved speed, but i ended up
breaking some other things. Yes this code use memory, and a lot of CPU, and
in the end you end up with problems like duplicating object (hope this has
been fixed since) and crashes.

But i think there were great things in this code that should be kept!

1) terrain change as climate change (eg snowed mountains)
2) plants are growing (a good tihng to make the world alive)
3) snow and rain change as you change location (but current calculation is too
complicated, all i need as player is too see climate change and perhaps
moutians area colder and mor humid than sandy areas). This could be complete
random player won't see difference. No need for climate predicitons.
4) Day/Night. Also important on a RPG

But the following could be changed/added

1) No gulfstream (simply reducing speed of climat echange at seaside is enough
to simulate)
2) Better drawing for rain (I have seen player trying to fight those blops)
Some small circles would be enough, perhaps adding smoothing to this would be
good (you just need to set a good smoothlevel (say big case on top of most
things) and draw the smooth picture. No need to make it floor as smoothing
isn't restricted to floor (any visible arch can be smoothed!!!)
3) No large scale calculation, i think creating randmoly some clouds and then
moving the smoothly along the land until they are empty would be good enough
to simulate some small climate.
4) need some way to tell client 'hey it's raining' or 'hey it's snowing' so it
can do some special effect (sound of water drop, snowflakes, etc...) And we
can make the difference between 'it's snowing' and 'snow has dropped here a
few minutes ago, it's full on ground'
5) Perhaps create a life cycle for plant (a rose is not suppose to survive on
full snow ground, grass starts to die put in sun for too long)

The last 2 points are not the most important and may need lots of work, but
the rest could be done quite easily (easy to say, difficult to do, like
usual).

Anyway, i dunno what's your opinion but mine is current weather code is
jeopardy to activate on server and personnaly i don't want to touch it
anymore (too difficult to maintain).

Ok, time to rush to the theater for king arthur movie, bye all!