[CF-Devel] Post subject: Godly retribution kills...

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Jun 3 01:46:41 CDT 2004

ERACC wrote:

      Hi y'all,

      This is copied from the message board:

      http://www.metalforge.net/cfmb/viewtopic.php?t=415

  I'm guessing this happened in his apartment or wherever he last saved?
Otherwise, I can't figure out how he would die multiple times.

  Note at least as far as that is concerned, this could happen with most any
spell, eg, accidentally cast a high damage spell in your apartment, the effects
could last long enough to kill you a few times.

  One solution to that might be to insert a short lived immunity to everything
into the player when he dies (last for just a few seconds) - this would in
generally allow enough time for the spell effects to finish up, but not long
enough to really do much with it (and even if there is a little extra time, hard
to see how it would be all that useful, or if the tradeoff for a death is worth
the potential gain)

  In terms of the damage from the retribution - it appears the power of the
retribution is based purely on the grace of the failed spell.  Now there is some
chance you it will allow your grace to go negative.

  But you could have a case where you are doing a 70 grace spell but have 60
grace, and fail the roll to sucessfully cast it.  The retribution here is just
as bad as if you were at -10 grace.  So it may be reasonable to add some
randomness in, as well as factor the current grace, eg, retribution power is
something like:

random(1, grace of spell - grace of player)

  Thus, if you were at negative grace and failed, things would be even nastier.
  But if you were only a few points short, no big deal.

  And with it being random, not necessarily a sure death in any case, which is
perhaps reasonable.

  Nothing can really prevent accidental deaths if you hit the wrong combo of
keys, but I do think dying multiple times from one spell is probably a bit
excessive.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com