[CF-Devel] Alchemy hashes

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Jun 8 23:25:31 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      I like the idea of a server specific 'seed' but can guess it would be unpopular to some.  Some people make a career out of abusing the existing hash system.

      As for the treasure lists -  sounds good.  It would make it easier to reuse parts of formulas as well.  My only concern is that if you make it so the recipies become static after the first run then that might be a problem for adding/updating.  I would rather have this as part of the collect build routine so new recipies could be added as easily as new arches.  This also provides a place to generate book info.

  I haven't yet figured out a good way to deal with the generation of the
recipes and updates.

  The problem with using collect is I don't know how many servers actually
collect their own archetype & related data.  Thus, either already collected
versions get checked into CVS (and thus back to the same case, where everyone
uses the same data) or recipes are missing.

  One thought is a special naming convention could perhaps be used - like
'random_recipe_...'.  Then, when the server starts up, it parses the treasures
file.  It sees what 'random_recipe_...' entries it finds, and then compares them
against the list of valid recipes, and adds (creates) new ones, or removes old
ones or something.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com