Re: Re: [CF-Devel] '/command and '<text to say>

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Mar 12 09:20:29 CST 2004

      >>A lot of players just shout all the time anyway.

      > That's because they probably never discovered the 'tell command. Maybe we

      > should give new players a book "Crossfire Netiquette" with the most common

      > commands, just to make them aware of them.

A lot of people shout because they like to shout even if they know how to use say and tell.  I just think that making special boxes or rules for the communication commands is silly when all that is needed is nice key bindings.

      > I hardly read the introduction that scrolls by in the text display when

      > starting a character, but I would pay attention to a book I find in my

      > inventory.

Yes a player book in inventory would be better than those initial magic mouths on eating and moving in the hall of selection.  I don't thing it would need to be god given item and maybe if players could trade their book in at a shop in a starting city for a special item or something (like a potion of life with zero value)it would be nice as well.

        It might not be a bad idea to include more (some?) documentation on actual

      play with the client.  That is what people are downloading - toss a .txt or .pdf

      file there, and people would probably read it.  They aren't going to hunt aroudn

      the server directory for it.

Yes of course. The thing I have had to explain the most to players is keybinding (especially removing global bindings and using run and fire mode for key combinations).  I also think that less global keybindings would be nice as it seems to be hard to reconfigure the keyboard nicely for laptops (from what I am told).
There was some new in game tutorials about key bindings in the new starting map as well.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com