[CF-Devel] Fear?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Mar 24 02:27:52 CST 2004

Preston Crow wrote:

     Fear makes monsters run away when cast by a player.

     Now if cast on a player i think it doesn't have any effect.

      I thought fear made players run away.  I remember this working as

      expected a number of years ago.  I've always made an effort to get a

      ring or amulet of free action, so I haven't noticed that it was broken.

      So shouldn't it just be considered a bug and fixed?

  Yep.  It's apparantly been broken a long time.  This is presuming the code was
supposed to use the flee_player() code.

  So I've committed the following:
server/attack.c: Add scare_creature() function, which sets FLAG_SCARED
    and also sets up appropriate enemy.  Clean up some formatting in
    other functions, and fix friendly fire - move it out of the loop for
    all attacktypes (can be after we have figured out max damage).  Also,
    has a bug where if an attach wasn't doing any damage, friendly fire could
    actually make it do damage (eg, fear spell).
server/player.c: Fix up flee_player() to be map tile aware.  Also, add
    call to flee_player() in handle_newcs_player() so player will run away.
MSW 2004-03-24

  Note that while poking around, I also found that scared creatures/players have
a penalty to hit things, and are also themselves easier to hit.

  Note that the resist fear penalty/bonus a character may have only really
effects the creatures saving through.  Once affected, you basically run until
you can run no farther.

  Note that 'wimpy' mode also used the scared flag to have the player run away,
so if you have wimpy set, you may also notice that works again also (but I
didn't really test that that much.)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com