[CF-Devel] server 1.6.0?

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu Mar 25 12:58:41 CST 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:44:02 -0600
Brian Angeletti <

     EmperorBMA at cox.net

     > wrote:

      Relevant opinion to this discussion:

      The most useful thing we could do to increase stability on Windows (and

      everything else for that matter) would be to focus on using GTK 2.0 or

      SDL exclusively.  It would behoove us to look into focusing all our

      client coding resources on one client instead of keeping the current

      divide, since portability will be *MUCH* easier if we don't have to

      fight with several different code bases and above all it will make

      designing for the client very much simpler.

In my opinion, I kind-of like that divide, because there are certain things you can do with an SDL-only client that you can't do with GTK per se. Although these days I hear you can use GTK to render to a frame buffer, an SDL-only client would probably be faster on an older system than the GTK client, so there are a lot of arguments for or against either side.

There are advantages to having all the resources focused on one client:
	* Bugs would get fixed faster
	* Things would be implemented faster
	* etc.

But, there are certain advantages to having the SDL client:
	* It's faster on older systems
	* It requires less to compile
	* It's portable to platforms that GTK may not be

Those are my 2 cents :P,

Tim

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com