[CF-Devel] About sounds

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Mar 26 02:15:58 CST 2004

Been thinking of this sound stuff, here are some ideas.

We should define sounds in archetypes/treasures/artifacts: one or more lines
     sound <sound code>:<sound name>
which will fill in a list of sounds.

Then when a sound needs to be sent for an event, we know which file to send.

Of course, this will break current clients' sound support, which use a
unique identifier.
But this would enable us to have multiple sounds, one per monster for
instance, maybe even up to specific sounds for one specific monster
(defining sounds in editor - which would then need to support that :))

Also, sounds would be considered as pictures, sendable to the client on
request.
But sounds are probably bigger'an images (it seems to me), so we don't
want to lock the client while it's downloading a sound.

One thing, which could be used for pics too, would be for the client and
server to maintain a list of known images. When the client detects
changes, it grabs latest server's image list, and downloads all
images/sounds/other media in the 'background', without blocking play.
This way, client would transparently update its data, which'll be ready
when needed.
Of course, still need the case when we ned to download a file before
continuing (like a new pic which is visible right now).
Only drawback would be to find an easy way to sync client with server,
with minimum overhead.

Just my 2 cents of € :)
Nicolas

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com