[CF-Devel] More bugs, crashes noted by players

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Thu May 6 02:23:05 CDT 2004

ERACC wrote:

      On Wednesday 05 May 2004 01:35

      So an item_power of +50 may *not* be the intent? Frankly a +40 to +50

      item is nearly impossible to equip with other good items even at high

      player levels. Two +50 items would make using other equipment

      problematic or impossible, depending on the equipment, even at level

      110+. If the +50 is not intended is there some way that may be

      adjusted down a bit? Maybe so the items are at +30 - +35 or so? That

      would make them more useful and less a curiosity item.

      Example: My character Galahad has a ring of Elrond. As of now Galahad

      is a level 48 human Paladin and has to wear a lot of equipment. I'm

      calculating that to be able to equip that ring with his other good

      equipment, with high item_power values, he will need to be level 80.

      Even then some of his equipment will not be able to be equipped with

      that ring. That makes ring of Elrond only useful to very high level

      players and completely, or nearly, useless for mid-level players.

  Note that at least in IMO, that is some of the point of item power - to make
it so that characters can not equip every best item in the game, and have to
make some choices.  Now some values are probably excessive, and looking at the
treasure code, it seems to do some odd stuff - instead of just making item power
additive, it seems to try to figure out what the item_power for the object
should be based on the enchantments, and that seems wrong.

  As a note, while not really acted on much, I actually think item power can be
used to make it more flexible for player created items.  Eg, before, the enchant
armor scrolls were a real bonus, because you could have +4 magic on all your
items with no drawbacks.  If item_power is properly used, fine, you can have +4
on all your item, but if each object now comes with a 10 item power (or
whatever), it quickly becomes less appealing.

  And likewise, this could open it up to let players create rings and whatnot,
albeit with similar item power drawbacks.

      I understand the argument. Perhaps hitting a few more squares with a

      cone spell cast in direction 0 would not really be a bad thing. I

      need to try some direction 0 casts with my character poof. How is the

      direction range calculated? What is the curve on that? Knowing that

      will help me see if I agree with 1/4 or 1/3 for the value. :-)

  It really depends on the spell - you can look at the archetype.  Eg, from the
spell_burning_hand arc (only relevant fields taken):

level 1
range 5
range_modifier 4

  Range 5 means it starts out going  spaces.  For every 4 levels beyond 1st, it
goes an additional space (range_modifier), eg, level 5 it goes 6 spaces, level 9
it goes 7, etc.

  Lets look at spell_dragonbreath:
level 12
range 7
range_modifier 5

  Starts out going 7 spaces.  For every 5 levels beyond 12th, it goes another
space (8 spaces at 17, 9 spaces at 22, etc).

  Note that it can probably be rightly argued that some of the range and
range_modifier values are incorrect (eg, dragonbreath should go further than
burning hands for example).

What probably really needs to be done is write some scripts or update the dump
code to output the spell information for different levels.

  You can look at dragonbreath and burning_hands arch, and clearly see the
dragon breath is better in terms of damage, range, etc.  But its a level 12
spell, so how does burning hands compare when cast by a 12'th level caster.  How
do the spells compare when cast at a 25th level caster, 50th level caster, etc?
  I have a feeling if that is done, some adjustments to be made will be pretty
obvious.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com