[CF-Devel] From the forum

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed May 12 02:22:54 CDT 2004

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Here's a post on the messageboard, i think it's worth forwarding it here :)

      -----

      Hi. Here are several things with my character Azriel (on

      crossfire.metalforge.net) :

      1) I am a dragon (ancient cold), with 82 resist in elec (obviously

      without any equipment, nor god given resist). Then i should be

      legendary, and i'm not. Someone told me that i should be, and in the

      sources, it is written resist>80 to be legendary. So, either it is a

      bug, either it does'nt work this way.

      I think it is because, since i am an ancient COLD, i must have 81 resist

      in COLD. This is unfair : to change your title, you have to gain levels.

      If you reach 81+ resist when you are level 90, it is easy to gain 20

      levels to have the correct title to be legendary. But if you are level

      110 (you know the xp table...)

      So, here is what i think : big, ancient and legendary should be based

      only on the highest resist (regardless of the focus), and titles should

      be recalculated at login, or when you gain a resist.

  This could be done, but I don't know how big an issue it is (are there any
quests or the like that require someone to be a legendary dragon?)

  Also, there is the case that the proposed change means the title is based only
on resistances.  Arguably, the attack and special abilities that the player gets
based on the focuses they are using is just as relevant as everything else.

  So it wouldn't hard to change it so that title is based on overall resistance
if people think that is a good idea.  Just set the title based on highest
resistance.

      2) Treasure lists are broken on the server. Monsters that have a special

      item in their inventory (eg a key, etc...) don't inherit their normal

      treasure list. That's a good thing for most players (for exemple, the

      wizards in the wizard tower have a key, so they don't have their normal

      treasure list, and then no spell. The place is much easier. Same thing

      in Chaos lair). But for dragons, it is a problem : to gain resistances,

      you have to eat high level monsters. But almost high level monsters have

      a key, or something, then they don't have their normal treasure list and

      drop no corpse. On other servers it is hard to get 81+ resist, but here

      it is almost impossible.

  This is now fixed.

      3) I'm making maps (it takes a long time). Does someone know how to use

      a duplicator ? And in general, where could i find the meaning of all the

      types of the archs ?

  General starting place is the doc directory in the server area.
Unfortunately, there appears to be no docs there.

  Looking at the code, this is what I gather:

The duplicator is triggered by some other connected object (button, altar,
whatever).

  When triggered, it then looks for objects on top of the duplicator that match
the same name as the other_arch field (why that was used instead of slaying, I
don't know).  Thus, if it is something like other_arch dagger, it won't
duplicate swords.

  The level of the duplicator determines the new number of objects (if level is
0, object is removed).

  This, an example might be something like

arch duplicator
level 2
other_arch sword
connected 5
end

  Where 5 is connected to a lever.  When the lever is pulled, if a sword object
is on top, its number is doubled.  If there is anything else on top, it is
unaffected.  If the lever it is connected to is not pulled, it is also unaffected.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com