[CF-Devel] faster portgate (context diff)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue May 18 00:17:02 CDT 2004

ERACC wrote:

      On Monday 17 May 2004 12:33

      Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     Note that I committed a few days ago a 'ground positioning system'

     that lets players know where they are in the world - up to them to

     write down interesting locations...

     (should be quest reward, probably, can't yet be found anywhere)

      This is a good idea indeed. However, I don't want to write down all

      these locations offline. Could players get (buy or find) a Log Book

      that allows more entries than the limited scrolls and books they can

      get now? I run into the inscription limitation on a regular basis

      while writing scrolls to inform guild members of events in the guild.

  I'll increase the size of messages the books can hold - there is no real
reason for the current limitation.  There can be potential issues with messages
so long that they don't fit on one screen - the gtk client at least has a
scrollbar, so that shouldn't be a problem.  But in any case, that is more an
issue for those people that are writing the books.

      I'm not asking for an unlimited device for recording things. But a

      new device, specifically a book, that allows recording a significant

      enough amount of information to be useful. Perhaps a 10K, 25K or 50K

      limit and some way to determine how much space is left.

  I've upped the limit from 800 characters to about 4000.  Going beyond that
requires a bit more work, as the messages are stored in op->msg, and while I can
increase that buf, have to be more certain to catch all the references.

      Hmmm, thinking as I type here ... the scrolling of this text could

      be a problem I see. So, how about a new container called Binder and

      Binder of Holding that holds only non-magical scrolls? Thus one could

      have a collection of scrolls with information on locations, etc.

  That'd be trivial to done, since it is really just a type of container.  I'm
not 100% sure if it is possible to limit it to only non magical scrolls/books.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com