[CF-Devel] From the board: comet & meteor swarm

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue May 18 02:06:41 CDT 2004

Copied from the message board, since it's about a spell bug

----

Ok, I'm a bit fuzzy on the intended logic here, but, I THINK this is a
bug.

Comet: Makes a big lasting fire effect. Yet, if ANOTHER comet is cast
in the same area, IT DOES NOT PROPAGATE. The 2nd Comet will ONLY
propagate if there is a free (no fire spell occupying from the 1st
comet) space to expand in. 2 Comets spawning from the same (fire
covered) area = 1 comet filling the area it should, and the 2nd
filling NOTHING until the first comet expires, then it expands a few
squares and ends (appropriate for it's "active" time).

Now, let's advance to Meteor Swarm. The same logic from Comet applies
still. ONLY the first Meteor (Comet) expands fully. The rest DO NOT
propagate at all, until the FIRST one dies off. This makes for ONE
"full damage area" attack, and a secondary attack that is, well...
useless... like 10x10 at max, and lasts a second or 2.

I'm thinking this behavior is not intended. PERHAPS it was meant as a
limiting factor for Comet, but the fact that Meteor swarm is a
multiple-comet attack and is STILL bound by the same rules, I'm
thinking this is a bug/unintended effect.

As it stands now, Comet and Meteor Swarm are equal in damage, but one
takes MUCH more SP to cast.

----

I guess this is related to how propagation works, no?
The 2nd won't move because there is already some fire spell on other
squares?

Nicolas

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com