[CF-Devel] Experimental crossfire-client-1.7.0 available for testing

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Oct 4 01:50:19 CDT 2004

This bug is since release 1.7 of client
(see #crossfire channel topic: if your client freeze, disable sound).

Seems in some alsa configuration, the sound server does not initialize the sound card correctly but doesn't notice it. So the first attempt to send datas to sound device does freeze sound server. At the same time, client is sending sound commands to the sound server using a pipe. The buffer of the pipe is filling and at some time is full. When this happen, the client enters sleep mode, waiting for his datas to be sent. If you do plug gdb externally to the client using command 'gdb programfile pid' you'll notice the client is simply sleeping in a stdlib pipe writing function.

I have to apologize. I *forgot* to fix this since i found that bug. More shame on me as i wrote the buggy code (in client, not sound server). Need to configure pipe so it doesn't non blocking IO.