[CF-Devel] More Bronze Items and treasurelist + Updated classes

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Fri Oct 8 21:56:29 CDT 2004

OK - my thoughts on some recent things here.

Bronze weapons.  I really don't have an actual problem with adding in
bronze weapons but I cannot see people making fortunes off of picking up
and selling weapons.  It's the few magic items that really have value
and as for a fortune - it is pretty slow way and you can play for a long
time and doing this and barely make enough to buy a life potion.  You
make just as much in one random map treasure hole as in hours of
collecting iron weapons.  HOWEVER - although I see no big point in
bronze weapons - I see no harm in them either.  I'll commit these and
update the treasures unless someone objects.

(I like the ore arches BTW - those are very nice and useful.)

Mlab map set.

I am a bit put off by the packaging of the mlab package as it is for a
few reasons which are all packaging and not much to do with the actual
maps.  First there is a lot of stuff in here that should not be - test
maps, small world and bigworld maps in the same package,patches and
masks, temporary files...
Also the maps should be organized into many more subfolders since right
now they all mostly appear to be in the root directory which makes it
hard to navigate and follow in game and in the editor.  Also the way the
arches, patches to the lib files are presented in here is not
acceptable.  There really should be an arch package, a server package
and a map package which can be evaluated and committed - patching the
archetypes file is not best way to work - the collect tools should be
used against a modified arch folder instead. Patch files are not the
kind of things you add to CVS and you cannot add things to the CVS
version of the collected files directly - they will get overwritten the
first time the collect scripts are run.  I can't easily evaluate and
this package so I haven't begun to commit any of it.

I really suggest that the package be cleaned up (especially the old
temp~ files, the map templates and test files andd the unfinished or
repeated files which are totally unacceptable to be committed) and
splitting things into a few in more folders like /citydeclouds
/vallyofrock/tower and whatnot and placing them in the appropriate city
or area folders to give it some usable geography as much as possible.
Again names like *MLABICEHALL1* is not as useful as something like
*mazesofmenace/icehall/icehall_1*.
I would also like to see the styles all collected in a styles folder and
given somewhat neutral names so that they can be reused by other random
maps without causing confusion.  I'm not saying there isn't a lot of
good things in this mapset - just that it is too hard to deal with in
it's present form.  It would be really nice to be able to break this
into a couple of more managable pieces actually and commit it that way
rather than as one huge package, especially if there are as it look like
a few areas here.

I would also like to suggest that the 'tavern' tower be moved out of
Scorn and into either a less populated city or to outside the city walls
just because of overall adventure density - there is too much in Scorn
and not enough in other places.  I would suggest perhaps in or near
Navar which could use a very large mapset to help balance it better.  In
the least if it were moved outside the Scorn city walls it would be a
good jumping point.  I would be willing to help with moving it if this
were to happen. Anyway this is just my thoughts and nothing to do with
the suitability of the maps.

So there I said it.