[CF-Devel] healing potions

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sat Oct 16 00:07:51 CDT 2004

  I'll probably be a bit terse in this reply, since I had almost finished a
followup and mozilla crashed, and don't want to go into that detail again.

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      I was thinking of wrapping standard treasurelist notation in a tag like

      the anim/mina so that you could do:

      treasurelists

      all your treasurelist notations

      endtreasurelists

      the the collect scripts can just look out for the wrappers in the

      arches, the trs files and the treasures file.  This seems like there are

      three places for the data but at some point the treasures file in the

      server would be entirely replaced by .trs files in the arches I expect.

  This could pretty easily be done - don't even need those tags - the collect
script could easily enough just look for lines that start with treasure, and
once it gets one, just shunt all following lines into the treasure file until it
gets and end line.

  There probably isn't any real reason not to have several places the info could
be - I'm guessing it is of some mild convenience to put the data into the .arc
file instead of a .trs file.

      Right, well I guess the ability to spawn copies of objects in the maps

      is pretty good, it would be very nice to be able to reference multiple

      treasurelists in the randomitems field (or another field) however so you

      could add a second list to a NPC or a chest.  You can still do a lot by

      adding additional items to inventory or random archs so that is not so

      important to be able to make custom lists in the maps.

  There are a couple ways this can be done now:

1) make a treasurelist that contains other treasurelists.  Since treasurelists
can only be in the treasures file at startup, this means that it has to be put
in the arc directory or the like, which may not be really convenient.

2) Put some random treasures in the objects inventory, just changing their
randomitems field as needed - this lets you put in several treasures.  The
problem is there is no way to selectively do something like select only 1 of 3
lists like you could with a treasurelist.

  However, the real problem here is the way of which inventory is generated -
sometimes it uses other_arch, other time inventory for duplication, other time
randomitems, etc.  This gets pretty messy.

  The other problem is that two of those (other_arch and randomitems) point to
other structures, and are not free form text, which makes putting multiple
entries in difficult (if for example, randomitems was text, you could just comma
seperate the different treasurelists, or even include one).

  that hurts performance a bit (as the data has to be parsed each time), but for
most objects, they create other objects or treasure pretty infrequently.  So
probably not that big a deal.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com