[CF-Devel] Butakis crash

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Oct 18 02:25:19 CDT 2004

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Here is what I have discovered about the Butakis prison map causing the

      server crash on metalforge.

      This map (Wist_study) had a lot of arches in monster inventory that had

      been removed form the game - I'm guessing it is likely this was causing

      the crash.

      The code has been changed on Oct 16 to fix the actual crash but the

      missing arches are still missing.

  There were actually two crashes related to that map - one related to the
missing archs, and one related to spell books/wands/whatever placed in monsters
inventory not having a spell placed into them.

      now fear has had a name change so that is easy to fix but IMHO the

      others should be abilities as well as spells unless I am missing

      something about how these things work.  On a similar topic - do monsters

      have to have the appropriate spell skill in their inventory to cast

      spells which have been dropped into their inventory or can they just

      cast spells automatically?

  Monsters don't need the appropriate spell skills to use the spell - if they
have the skill and have the can_cast_spell flag, they can cast spells.

  As for ability vs spells - a lot of the old abilities where just a mechanism
for the monster to cast the spell, and given that, there was no difference (eg,
the spell had magic set on the attacktype).  there was dragonbreath and a few
others that were different.

  In the case you mentioned, I believe that all of those were really just
spells, so there shouldn't be need to make new abilities for them - the maps
just need to get updated to have the spell_..... as appropriate.  I'm pretty
sure that for all the ones that actually were different, I did put in an ability
for them.  but I might not of.

  In this particular case, it probably doesn't make a difference (since the
creature is a apparantly a wizard, having magic be on the attacktype would be
perfectly reasonable).

  Where it usually comes in is for dragons/demons/other supernaturals, who
somehow create the effect non magically - thus, no magic attacktype.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com