[CF-Devel] Re: [CF List] Party spells (continued)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Oct 19 01:22:50 CDT 2004

  Various thoughts:

  You probably want the spellpoint cost not to vary based on party members -
otherwise, as a player it could be very confusing or perhaps make the spells
meaningless (oh no, the party is now two big to cast this spell as I don't have
enough mana).

  so it should either cover the entire party, with perhaps less effect the more
party members (for something like heal, this works, for something like word of
recall, can't really do that, as the spell either works or it doesn't).

  That said, it can certainly be like the current system will cost does increase
as level of caster, and thus, effects increase - higher level may mean it
effects more players.

  It certainly isn't hard to check distance between the players - requiring all
the players to be on the same map (and within some distance) for some spells
make sense, eg, healing, etc.

  One possibility is to not cover the entire party - eg, the spell covers 5
people, and if there are 6 in the party, someone is out of luck.

  Checks for no magic/unholy ground should be done on both the caster and
recipient - otherwise, I'm sure it'll end up that even semi intelligent players
will find ways to abuse the system - a lot of no magic is there for a reason.

  It strikes me party burning hands, while cool sounding, is probably a bad idea
- if the party members are anywhere near to each other, they may kill each other.

  In terms of implementation, I'd suggest new archetypes, with probably new
subtypes, or perhaps a flag to denote a group spell.  I'd certainly rather not
have a spell that points to another spell, as I think that will just cause
headaches.

  Note that mass spells might have interesting issues also - where should group
word of recall return players?  Each to their own individual location?  Back to
the casters home location (could cause a problem if that is an apartment)?
there may be others which have similar considerations that need to be examined.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com