[CF-Devel] Womanly value code in crossfire

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Mon Sep 13 01:54:55 CDT 2004

Mitch Obrian wrote:

      There is a limit for very expensive items in crossfire

      that is problematic. For a 1 million value item I get

      this:

      It is made of: gold.

      It weighs 1000.000 kg.

      You would get 902 platinum coins, 3 gold coins and 6

      silver coins for it.

      There is apparently a cap on the value somewhere other

      than the signed int. Can it be removed? Or a message

      like this given instead (for high value items):

      "the item is worth $$$$ but it would be difficult to

      sell for more than $$$$"

  There isn't a cap - rather, if the item is worth a lot, the sell price
calculation is done different.  I know there was recent (few months back) about
changing this because there were some bugs - I can't remember the new/final
calculation.  The old method at least was something like

  if value > 10000 value=10000 + sqrt(value)

  Note this different method is only used when selling items.  When buying
items, the value of the item is used, with various adjustements for charisma,
bargaining, etc.

  It's unclear to me why this is a problem - there is already too much money in
the game, so it strikes me that having limits is a good thing.  I don't know the
original justification for why that was put in - my guess might be to make sure
that programmatically generated items don't become worth insane amounts of money
(that +3 gold darkblade of lythander worth 10,000,000 or something).

  I'm also reluctant to even put in that line 'worth xyz, but you could probably
only get abc' for it.  Arguably, items are worth what you can sell it for - to
me, such a line just makes things confusing (players asking where they can sell
it for xyz, since such a message certainly suggests you should be able to sell
it for that much someplace).

  Note that currently, there are a lot of items that probably run into this cap
- most of the true artifacts probably exceed it.  So removing it won't just
effect your item, it would effect money, and thus probalby lead to a lot more
money in the game.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com