[CF-Devel] To aclocal && automake or not, that is the question

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Tue Sep 21 01:03:01 CDT 2004

Bob Tanner wrote:

      As the crossfire-client debian package settles down, I've started to play with

      the package on other architectures.

      I'm finding not all architectures like the i386 generated files. Not 100% sure

      if I got an issue in my Makefile.am or .in files yet.

      A quick fix was to do a aclocal && automake -ac before running configure. This

      also had the side effect of not having to have the Makfile.in files in cvs.

      Comments on this strategy?

      Since the Makefile.in are generated from the Makefile.am, do want them in cvs?

      Ditto for config.h from config.h.in?

      Ditto for configure from configure.in?

  In a sense, it's not an easy question.

  At some level, requiring fewer tools is probably better.  As a comparison, the
server includes the .in files, as well as pregenerated lex files, so that end
users aren't required to have automake nor flex installed.  And there are other
built files included to make life easier (archetypes for example).

  So with that said, it would seem to make sense to include the .in files and
any other files that configure does not automatically note.  In the cases where
I do build things from source, it's always nice to just do './configure -prefix
/usr/local' and have it all work, and not have to look at the readme or install
docs to figure out how to build it

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com