[crossfire] Server release?

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Apr 15 14:58:59 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

     Hello.

     It's been almost 3 months since last server release (1.7.0). What about

     starting to think of a new release? *grin*

     I think that might be good, especially if my circular lighting patch
that's on the verge of getting in gets into cvs in time :-)

Brendan Lally wrote:

     IMHO the new gtk2 client is probably enough of an improvement to be called

     crossfire 2, since it is an entirely new client frontend and (to those using

     it at least) a different app.

     I would disagree on this point, even once the gtk2 client is fully
functional. I primarily disagree because doing so would either mean we
would also release a version 2 of the server at that time (which might
not be warranted quite at that time), or the server and client version
numbers would be somewhat disjointed which might confuse people.

     client release 1.7.1 doesn't include it, and there have been a few changes

     that have affected the old gtk client in the meantime, smoothing

     modifications, memory leak fixes and the extra pickup option.

     These changes are significant and worthwhile enough in their own right that

     they probably justify a 1.8 release independent of the new client.

     I agree.

     Maybe also a discontinuation of cfclient and crossedit if they are no longer

     maintained and used (I'm unsure about this one, the only person I know who

     has used cfclient in months was someone who appeared on IRC not knowing about

     gcfclient - does anyone still use these by choice?).

     Don't know about cfclient, but mikee is the only person I know of who
still uses crossedit...
I have however found cfclient a little nice to double check weather a
client issue is gtk related or not.

       --Alex Schultz (aka Rednaxela)