[crossfire] A few random ideas

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Apr 15 23:42:03 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      * items combination / use item with item

      Example one, use apple on knife => sliced apple.

      Example two, use sliced apple with base pie crust => ready to cook

      apple pie. Then put it in oven (alchemy-like), except if you fail you

      just get a burnt pie, no exploding oven!

      Ok, just committed code to do just that.

      New item type, ITEM_TRANSFORMER (163). Just a special item, that when

      applied grabs the marked item. 'slaying' field is checked to transform

      if eligible.

      See doc/Developers/item_transformation for explanations.

      Crash example:

      * create a 'knife' archetype, with type 163

      * create 'half_apple' archetype

      * add to apple archetype:

        slaying knife:2 half_apple

      Now mark the apple, apply knife, you got 2 nice half-apples :)

  My one minor quibble is that people may get knives and say 'hey, why can't I
use this as a weapon'.  Which is somewhat valid I suppose.

  However, more relevantly, I wonder if there is a way to make these complex
operations easier than having to mark an object? I'd think that perhaps the
client could implement drag and drop for inventory and maybe figure that out on
its own (user drags torches to the flint, or vice versa, etc).