[crossfire] Server release?

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 11:38:46 CDT 2005

Viva le crossedit.
--- Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at sonic.net

     > wrote:

        Since I tend to make the releases, I'll note my

      strategies:

        In terms of numbering, I want to try to keep the

      server and client close in

      sync.  That way, I can make a statement like 'if

      your client version is newer

      than the server version, you can be sure that your

      client support all the

      features of the server'.

        that is a lot easier than saying something like

      'if server is 1.5, need client

      1.6, if server 1.7, need client 1.9, if server is

      2.0, need client 2.5, etc'.

        This is the reason that the last client release

      was a 1.7.1 - just to sync up

      those numbers.

        In terms of whats in the release, generally, if

      its in CVS, its in the source

      release at least.  In a sense, the source code

      releases are basically snapshots

      of CVS, ideally based on some time when the code was

      more stable or something.

        I'm reluctant to do multiple trees/release trains

      - I just don't see a

      particular compelling reason.

        Likewise, as long as cfclient and crossedit are

      easy to maintain/keep working,

      I see no compelling reason for them to be removed.

      That said, one shouldn't

      really expect much in the way of new features for

      either of those either.

      crossfire at metalforge.org