[crossfire] channels

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Apr 24 22:43:44 CDT 2005

Brendan Lally wrote:

      I've attached a rather bulky patch to casper's RFE at

      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1183961&group_id=13833&atid=363833

      It is now at a state that it can be considered ready for wider review/testing.

      If there is anyone who has time on their hands, there are two versions, one is

      the patch itself, one is a diff of only the files that have code changes, and

      is therefore sane to attempt to read. (as well as being less likely to break

      next server code update :) )

  Looking at the patch, it in no way extends or lets the client know what is on
what channel.

  The patch filters the different levels on the server and nothing more.  IMO,
that is of limited usefulness (I'd argue in many cases, a potentially bad thing
as a player could inadvertently turn of notification of relatively important
events).

  The client itself still won't know what channel a message belong to, so
doesn't help in the case of different tabs for different messages.  So from the
original RFE, really only implements a portion of it.

  What I'd much rather see is a changing of the NDI values to be descriptive of
the message (the com levels you describe would make good new NDI values).  If
we're going to change all the new_draw_info_.. calls, less change them to that.

  This then does give the client the info on what the command is then about
(reply, literature, kills, etc) and so the client can decide what to do with it.
  That could include deciding not to display it.

  The client would have to communicate to the server (in form of a setup
command) that it understands these new NDI values.  For the case that the client
doesn't, it wouldn't be hard to have a simple mapping table of old to new (eg,
NDI_TELL should be orange, NDI_CHAT is ...).

  Now there is some wastefullness in the server sending something to the client
that the client then will not display, but IMO, I don't see that as much an
issue - I can't see the bandwidth wastage being at all significant.

  what I describe is IMO what the original requestor is really looking for.
Changing the NDI levels has been on the TODO list for a long time - it also has
other advantages:

1) Lets user customize which window/tab messages go into (Described above)
2) Lets user customize color and font of messages
2b) Lets us use fixed width fonts for messages that would display better that
way (shop listings, who, map, other commands that try to put things in tables)
3) Makes it easier for client to grab certain messages if it wants to (I can't
really see much reason, but perhaps scripts might want to).

  So all that said, while very quickly glancing over your patch, I don't see
anything particularly wrong with it, overall, it isn't moving things in the
direction they need to move, so I don't see much point in applying it.  some
day, NDI levels will get redone, making the change of listen levels pretty much
moot (as important can be gleaned from the NDI message type).

      crossfire at metalforge.org