[crossfire] channels

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Apr 24 22:56:50 CDT 2005

tchize wrote:

      The patch am working on is based on a subscribe/notify paradigm, not made to

      handle channels like yours, as i think this is a different part and you are

      doing quite well in it, but made to identify all kinds of readables send to

      client by sending them with another command than draw_info. The client

      subscribe to the server for the send of specialized data. Client can

      subscribe to receiving books in a special way, subscribe to receiving signs

      in a special way, subscribe to receiving motd in a special way, ...

      Now, if your patch, in this part, is just about telling server 'send me or do

      not send me literature' there will be no conflict in code logic and there

      will in fact be complementarity.

      But if your patch is about 'send me literature in a way so client can identify

      it as literature' there will be a conflict of use.

      According to the messages on the bugtrack, you are in the first case

      (replacing the listen level to let client tell server what may and what may

      not be send), but i just want to be sure about it before your patch make his

      way to the cvs :)

  what I said in my other email sounds like it will conflict with what you are
suggesting.  But in a project with multiple people developing, that is bound to
happen.  I'd also think the amount of conflict would be minor, as all I'm saying
is changing things like NDI_BLUE to NDI_LITERATURE.

  I'd like more details on what you are thinking/trying to do.
Attaching/sending images for scrolls (in forms of maps) is a very nifty idea.
However, to me, it seems that either the client will support displaying this
alternate form of data or not.  It seems unlikely to me that the client could
display an image that is part of a scroll but not a map, so having a different
subscription method for all the possible types of messages seems like over
complication.

  I'd suggest that there be some form of caching/client requesting the
additional info.  That is because one could envision something like a map being
on a scroll - you really don't want to have to download the image every time the
player reads the scroll - the client could certainly store a copy of the image
away someplace, and thus next time, quickly pull it from cache.  I say this
because I'd think that things like map images will likely be in the several
hundred pixel by several hundred pixel range, and thus take significantly more
time to transmit than most data generated.

  I'd be interested in seeing your proposal and storing/associating this data
with the objects in question.