[crossfire] titan_quest map not solvable anymore?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Apr 27 02:12:31 CDT 2005

  I recently tried to do the titan quest (archduke of scorn quest) map and was
unable to finish it.  I'm not sure if its because I'm just missing something, or
as I think might be the case, server behavior has changed.

  My guess looking at the map is that the player is supposed to dimension door
into the small chambers, and then get the final key that gives access to megalopos.

  Before the spell code was redone, this was actually possible.  With the redone
spell code, it is no longer possible to teleport through solid (those that block
sight) walls.  The walls in the the titan quest do block sight, thus no
dimension door.  I can't remember the rationale, but I seem to recall it was
discussed at the time, and did make sense.

  To me, there are perhaps a couple possible solutions:

1) remove the need of dimension door - you already get keys, just put doors in
those blocks that the keys use.

2) Change the walls to be the gate style walls that you can see through (and
thus dimension door)

3) perhaps some third option I can't think of.

  I personally prefer #1.  By the time you get to that map, you're pretty high
level - requiring dimension door is like robbing Fort Knox and finding the last
door has a padlock purchased at the hardware store.  My other thought on this is
it would be really annoying to get to that stage and not have a way to dimension
door (in my adventures, I used a wand of dimension door to get to the castle,
but that has finite charges).  The real gotcha is that it can certainly take
long enough to work your way through those maps that you just can't go back to
down and come back again - the first maps may have reset, so you'd have to do
the entire quest again.