[crossfire] gcfclient and sign display

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 06:07:25 CDT 2005

On 8/16/05, tchize <

     tchize at myrealbox.com

     > wrote:

      Le Mardi 16 Août 2005 09:30, Mark Wedel a écrit :

      > 4) No button or the like to dismiss it - have to use whatever functionality your

      > window manager provides to dismiss it.

      Could be added i suppose, though i don't see why the window manager way of closing

      windows is an issue.

     actually, I would have to support this point, there needs to be a
close button that is focused by default, ideally also bound to the
shortcut key 'a' so that pressing 'a' over a sign would act like a
toggle.

      > 5) Since info appears in that window, it does not appear in the normal windows,

      > thus, once destroyed (or you read another sign), you lose the contents.  Thus,

      > that information on the sign at the start of the dungeon may effectively be lost

      > (won't be in scrollback buffer).

      I guess it could be duplicated in normal text windows.

Storage of information strikes me as something more suitable for Ryo's
quest management system (once he decides how to reimplement it) rather
than buried somewhere in the middle of lots of kill information in the
still-crowded text windows

One thing that might also be interesting though would be if applying a
sign would give an invisible object with a copy of the text and a food
value. This would then gradually disappear, and there could be a
recall command to popup a sign window containing a copy of the
message.

Even better would be if the food value were a role against Int, and if
recalling a sign with a low food value corrupted the message
(arbitrarily transposed some words, or mispelt some things) - the
recall then, would be the memory of the /character/, and not the
player.

Obviously rereading the original sign would need to reset the food value.