[crossfire] gcfclient and sign display

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Tue Aug 16 03:17:38 CDT 2005

Le Mardi 16 Août 2005 09:30, Mark Wedel a écrit :

        I should probably preface that I'm responsible for the 'nopopup' mode in the

      gtk client (v1).

What is?

        But does anyone else find the sign display code in the client really annoying?

        To me, these are the major issues:

      1) No way to turn it off, save for code modification.

First comments on it i receive since implemented. Disabling for those requesting it should be easy to code.

      2) It centers it on the screen, not the client.  This is bad behaviour,

      especially for those of us with dual monitor setups (I really don't need it

      straddling the monitors)

GTK centering behaviour, do not know much of gtk to know how to correct this.

      3) It shifts input focus to the sign area itself, thus the client stops

      receiving useful input (like movement commands)

Quite obviously, you are *reading* the sign, not doing much more else. This seems to me
a normal roleplay behaviour. If you have any better idea...

      4) No button or the like to dismiss it - have to use whatever functionality your

      window manager provides to dismiss it.

Could be added i suppose, though i don't see why the window manager way of closing
windows is an issue.

      5) Since info appears in that window, it does not appear in the normal windows,

      thus, once destroyed (or you read another sign), you lose the contents.  Thus,

      that information on the sign at the start of the dungeon may effectively be lost

      (won't be in scrollback buffer).

I guess it could be duplicated in normal text windows.

      6) At least as things are now, it doesn't really add much.

An awfull picture (unless gfxers finally did draw a nice background for signs)

        I guess the key issue is #1 - then people can just turn it off, and anyone who

      uses it is basically choosing to live with points 2 through 5 (or they aren't

      important).

        But when I first saw this proposal, I had envisioned that it'd do something

      clever with the text window (draw graphics, whatever), not put in pop up windows.

GTK too limited to do 'something clever' like draw graphics in the text window.
Moreover, if my memory don't fail, concerning signs, i never suggested doing anything
else than show sign content inside a sign graphic.
And unless i miss something, having a popup show up when you apply a sign
and not be able to fight is not really a problem, unless you start applying signs
while fighting??

Regards

      crossfire at metalforge.org