[crossfire] Re: Item stacking

Lalo Martins lalo at exoweb.net
Sat Aug 27 03:57:17 CDT 2005

I think on Bigworld scale (since "outdoors" has the same scale as
"in-city"), it makes more sense for a square to be a chain.  Otherwise
you'll be wondering how come Scorn is 40 miles long, and the imperial
road is 3 miles wide, and the "little" inn near the dragon hatchery is 2
miles... whereas one chain makes perfect sense (although it makes
Bigworld less "big").

Come to think of it, people who never heard of a chain might as well
assume it's a fictional measuring unit, representing a square.

But then I agree with you - pick the unit that sounds right, and stick
to it.  Just say "11 chains", not "1 furlong"; "80 chains", not "one mile".

(Then people who know what a chain is, or who are obsessive enough to
look it up, can be pleased and amazed at how the measurements all make
sense.)

And so says Mark Wedel on 27/08/05 12:25...

       Basically, right now, as said, 1 space = 1 mile.  Thus, those signs

      describe how many spaces the towns are from you.  IMO, this is a good

      thing, especially for now players (how far do I hav to walk to get to

      navar?)

       Changing to obscure units IMO doesn't add anything - it either results

      in players having to go to google to figure out how many furlongs in a

      mile, conver that, and then know how far the town is apart.

       I think for ease of use, the numbers as shown on the signs should

      represent number of spaces.  If we want to call them some other unit, I

      don't mind, but I don't want them changed to some value and then have

      new players lost because they traveled 75 spaces in the right direction

      and didn't find anything.  Things are already obscure enough - no reason

      to make them harder for new players.

best,
                                               Lalo Martins

     http://www.exoweb.net/