[crossfire] map redo: more layers.

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 31 09:50:00 CDT 2005

Le Mercredi 31 Août 2005 09:18, Mark Wedel a écrit :

        The basic premise is to add more visible layers on the map, so more than 3

      objects can be displayed on a space.

        One other fix is to also more hard assign what layers objects show up in.  One

      problem with current protocol is that objects can move layers, and this is one

      thing that would be nice to fix.

        My basic idea would be to just assign what goes on the different layers, from

      bottom up:

      0: map floor - since you can't see anything beneath the floor, this is the bottom.

      1: building/buttons/whatever on top of floor, that player then stands on top of.

      2: Same as 1 - I don't think there are actually cases were there are 2 objects,

      but I rather like to keep this open for expansion.

Pentagram + button is an example

      3-5: objects player may actually pick up/interract with

      6: Player/monster

      7: second monster - should really only show up if one of these is a multi space

      monster overlapping something else.

      8-10: Flying objects - typically spells.

        The trickier part in all this is how to condense it down for the 3 objects for

      old protocol.  May idea would be to basically set up a table which says order of

      objects you are looking at.  The order would always be the same, but it may be

      something like:

why adapt old protocol, keep it's old behaviour (floor + 2 topmost objects)

      0-6-8 (floor/creature/spell) - 1-9-2-3-5-10-7

        Basically, we look at those layers, and once we find 3 objects, we stop

      looking any further.

        This logic could also be useful for the new protocol - for bandwidth reasons,

      you may want to limit the number of layers to some level, say 5.  So it'd use

      this same mechanism to find the first 5 items on the space to send.

may i suggest static  things like buildings/floor be sent once and for all to client
Also, think about integrating ground animations in protocol (i mean, do not send
sea each time it change, better tell client there is an animated object on that layer)

      crossfire at metalforge.org