[crossfire] Tweaking alchemy

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Dec 5 07:08:59 CST 2005

> Yes, in the short run this is a much better idea. However, a
long term goal of a self-supporting economy based on
inter-player interaction (where government-owned shops do not
exist except to maybe provide some very basic food and weapons
at time of war/famine/natural disaster) is IMO desirable. Then
a community of about 200 players would be completely
self-sufficient

Unfortunately, I think this can't really be done for 2 reasons:
* there aren't 200 players even on all servers together, so
unless we do massive recruitement campaigns, we won't have
enough players
* not all players will want a self-sustained economy.

The second point actually leads me to some thought i had
earlier: we can basically split (current) Crossfire
players/developers in two groups (please don't read next
sentences as i'm criticizing any group, i sure don't want to!).
First is more hacking-oriented, playing for the sake of
trashing monsters, getting loot and much exp/money. For this
group, self-sustained economy won't cut it, shops should have
way too much things to sell.
Second group (in which i'd include myself) is more
"real-world" oriented, wanting features like cooking, building
(remember my proposal on shop opening hours?), farming, and so on.
(as i said this is a very rough split)

So the hard part is doing features that everyone will enjoy,
or that can be safely ignored. Self-sustained economy isn't
imo in that field.

> Therefore as a skill farming is probably doomed to failure
unless it is made very easy (generic ever-lasting
self-reproducing cows, that can be milked every few minutes,
etc.), in which case it would be more of a means of survival
than a source of profit.

I'd even say "as a mean of doing different things than killing
monsters", or "for the fun of it". Farming should imo too be
not too hard.

Nicolas

Jusqu'au 25 décembre, participez  au grand jeu du Calendrier de l'Avent et
 gagnez tous les jours de nombreux lots, + de 300 cadeaux en jeu !