[crossfire] Tweaking alchemy

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 5 23:55:59 CST 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

> But you then run into the merging issue - you'd have many
> items with different weight/food left, and a real pain to merge.
> Also you couldn't easily change the face to reflect how much
> you eat.

  I don't think it would be much worse then your proposal.

  If you go by that supposition that you eat 500 grams of food/tick, that means
that normal food (weighing 3500 grams I think) would have 6 states, all pretty
clearly marked.  So if you have 2 foods that you have eat 1000 grams of (leaving
2500 left), they'd merge just fine.

> Which is why it seems simpler to me to just change the item
> via on_apply_yield :) Also it's more visual to see half a pic
> of an apple and pic of a half apple than 2 apples with the
> same pic not merging.

  True.  OTOH, at some level, I wonder what we are really gaining by having
partially eaten food states.

  But the other gotcha is that if you use the on_apply_yield, this only applies
to items that you so set up.  And I don't think you could do it at all for body
parts, simply because right now, the value/weight for different body parts
(arms, legs, etc) is partially determined by donor monster, so if you just
switch to 'half_eaten_leg' arch, the weight and food value could very well be
inconsistent (much different than non eaten leg).

  Now you could adjust the values based on the orignal object and what it turns
into.  But then you're not that far off of just not doing all of that logic in
the apply eat area.

  One thing that I also thought would be needed is to add some slow decay factor
to most all flesh items like there are for a few special ones (demon ichor).
You shouldn't be able to carry around the orc corpse for 3 months and expect it
to still be edible.

  That wouldn't be hard to do, but once again, it gets into the merging issue.