[crossfire] Re: [patch] Large-denomination coins

Anton Oussik antonoussik at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 22:20:43 CST 2005

On 25/12/05, Lalo Martins <lalo.martins at gmail.com> wrote:
> And so says Anton Oussik on 24/12/05 18:40...
> > I also have some concerns that this will cause inflation, and
> > "platinum is the new silver". Could map and item makers please avoid
> > making items that cost that much unless there is a very good reason
> > for doing so?
>
> If I understand the code correctly, a small change in shop.c can make
> these coins pretty much "invisible" - they will still be accepted in
> shops, but price evaluations will remain in plat, and shopkeepers will
> not give you jade/amber.
>
> Would that be better?

Having shops give the high value coins is better, for the following reason:
Currently the shops will give you the platinum for a sold item
regardless of the weight of platinum. This means, for example, you can
go and sell something worth 50,000,000, then the shop keeper will give
you 50,000,000 in plat, even knowing this is way more than your carry
limit.

Under the new system this is merely 5,000 of the highest denomination
thing, which should be liftable.

Now it is possible to fix the bug of shop keepers giving too much
weight in money without adversly effecting gameplay if it is still an
issue, although in general it should not be any more.

What I was against is the introduction of super-expensive items to
make use of the coins. 5,000 jade coins should remain to be worth a
small fortune.