[crossfire] Alsa 1.0.x client sound support.

Scott MacFiggen smurf at CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Feb 15 16:19:09 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:12:04PM -0600, Bob Tanner wrote:

      On Friday 11 February 2005 01:35 am, you wrote:

      > ? The other sound modules don't have a problem because they can make

      > sure they never do blocking operations - I imagine the same can be true

      > of the alsa client - I just think that right now there can be cases were

      > certain operations can block (but I'm hardly an alsa9 expert).

      sound and linux in general is "bad". I'll poke around the alsa api and see if

      the is a non-blocking capability.

      How about a step back, is there a sound API that can be "universal" for all

      unix-like crossfire clients?

SDL has two sound libraries available on

     http://www.libsdl.org

  SDL_sound is used to load different sound formats
  SDL_mixer is used for playback.

SDL_mixer will use OSS or Alsa as the sound driver depending on which one is
available from what I can tell.

 -Scott