[crossfire] Alsa 1.0.x client sound support.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Feb 11 19:46:33 CST 2005

Bob Tanner wrote:

      On Friday 11 February 2005 01:35 am, you wrote:

       The other sound modules don't have a problem because they can make

     sure they never do blocking operations - I imagine the same can be true

     of the alsa client - I just think that right now there can be cases were

     certain operations can block (but I'm hardly an alsa9 expert).

      sound and linux in general is "bad". I'll poke around the alsa api and see if

      the is a non-blocking capability.

      How about a step back, is there a sound API that can be "universal" for all

      unix-like crossfire clients?

  Unfortunately, I think not (there is no standard API.  In theory, oss and alsa
I think can be ported to every system, and may already have been done so.  But
that now means that users have to go out and grab those packages).

  Arguably, for what the client is doing, it doesn't really need much.

  One could argue there isn't much need for an ALSA port - just use the oss
compatiblity devices that alsa provides.

  However, there is even an RFE to support ESD out there.  The issue really
comes down to trying to play nice with other devices and programs that also open
the audio device or want to.

  I'll look at the alsa code some more now that I know that it isn't working.