Re: [crossfire] And now the MLAB name contoversy

Todd Mitchell temitchell at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 19 13:14:58 CST 2005

My issues with the Mlab maps have been on the record and haven't really changed since the first time I made them.  You would have had these maps in CVS ages ago if you weren't so obnoxious as you have totally put me off working on them and cannot seem to understand what it means to have CVS commit guidelines.
There are some guidelines for the map set which have been worked out for reasons - the name of the folders should be meaningful for navigation purposes (in game). Players, DM (and futire game mechanics like lore and GPS) all rely in some part on this idea. Aside from the quest folder where there are some maps grouped by developer name, the folder structure should reflect this standard.  Just because pupland and a few other map sets break or bend this strategy does not mean new maps should as well.  Really your map set should be in a couple folders with names but if the person with CVS access who commits them is going to put them into a folder called mlab then it's no longer my business.  They can deal with it if they want to do the work.
That is the whole issue as far as I'm concerned and the reason that it has taken so long to get these maps into the repository - there was so much work needed which you fought every step of the way.
Realize however that once these maps are in CVS anyone with access can modify or change the maps and otherwise they have become part of the crossfire project.
It's wonderful you have chosen to make maps, we need maps, and they are good maps, but this in no way excuses them from the guidlines we set up for CVS inclusion.  If other developers want to deal with you it is fine - my objections are only my own.  I have pretty much decided to ignore all this for now.

      Ok, some devs complained about MLAB being flatland...

      so now it's not anymore with the help of a script.

      Now a dev dosn't even like the name MLAB!!!

      Well these maps are Mikeeusa's Lab... they are good

      quality and encompass 1/4th of the entire crossfire

      world (according to du).

      Stop nitpicking.

      I want my map dir to stay mlab.

      Also cavesomething is developing regions so we will

      have real regions and don't have to care about players

      saying "oh that map dir dosn't sound like this area"

      because he will see the region name in who etc and not

      the dir url.

      If you are so ungratefull for these maps that you

      demand my dir name be changed then don't include them.

      Be like XFree with all it's crap politics and

      stagnation because of such nonsense.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      crossfire at metalforge.org