[crossfire] Is the deposit bug on the bank PYò0script ever going to get fixed?

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Tue Feb 22 12:14:31 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Sebastian Andersson wrote:

      On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 03:04:38AM +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:

      Yes LD_PRELOAD will do this.  It is nice to get out of a tight spot but a

      poor long term solution (except in the example below :)

      On Debian, the really nice debootstrap utility can be used for this.

Yes this is a great utility for making a chrooted environment (and lots of
other purposes too- UML environments for example).

      I've come to the conclusion the best method is to package the s/w with

      binary libraries that are guaranteed to work with the s/w.  These are the

      fallback libs.

      It a bit of a problem for libraries that have a lot of external files

      that it depends on though (like python's /usr/lib/python*/ files),

What files are you thinking of?  They shoudn't rely on anything except
other libs.  I just did a strings on /usr/lib/libpython on this box and it
didn't reveal any dependencies.

If the libs really do rely on external files then keep a seperate copy of
those as well.  A chroot may be best to keep everything in order in this
case.

      the distribution then starts to be really large and one often has to

      configure/change and rebuild those libraries so they look for their

      files in the right place.

With disks as large as they are today I don't see the disk space issue as
a big problem.  Afterall if the libs rely on external files then a
staticaly linked binary would rely on them as well (unless the reliance
was only on other libs that were themselves statically linked in).

Anyway, too OT I guess :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.

     rbrockway at opentrend.net

     http://www.opentrend.net

OpenTrend Solutions: Reliable, secure solutions to real world problems.
Contributing Member of Software in the Public Interest (

     http://www.spi-inc.org

     )