[CF-Devel] immunity force applied after death & godpower(?)

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Jan 2 18:15:51 CST 2005

Rick Tanner wrote:

      The following change was made to the Crossfire server code:

       server/player.c:

      Insert force into the player when they die making them immune to any

      spells on the space they reappear on - this prevents multiple deaths if

      there is large spell effect going on in the savebed location. Duration of

      force should be long enough for most spells to run their course, but no so

      long that the player can use it for much of an advantage (plus, killing

      yourself to get such an advantage seems odd, and the force only makes the

      player immune to the attacktypes currently on the space)

      Assuming this is in place on the crossfire.metalforge.net server, I saw

      today a player die 3 times to godly retribution.

      They died the first time out in a dungeon, and then 2 more times while

      back in their apartment and on their save bed.

      What attack type is godly retribution?  Is it godpower?

      Is immunity to godpower granted by this force?

      Or is it another issue or problem that allowed this to happen?

  Various thoughts:

If they died in the dungeon, and then died in the apartment, this suggest that
they get 'retributed' while in the apartment.  Probably because they were still
casting the spell.  Don't necessarily have a good solution - perhaps give the
player max sp/grace after death also, to reduce that from happening (we give
them full hp after all)

  Second, the immunity force inserted into the player only covers those spell
effects that are active on the space the player is about to be re-inserted.
Thus, if the player dies but his savebed location is 'safe', no force will be
inserted, so that if they then cause something to blow up there, they will get
damaged by that.  So that could pretty easily explain the first death in their
apartment.

  Third, the force only lasts a limited amount of time - it is possible the time
I made it for is not long enough for retribution to die out (especially if the
player causes it again).

  Now, the force can certainly be changed to make the player immune to
everything for a longer time period - my main concern is that this could open up
more abuses (eg, have town portal from big nasty monster to your savebed - if
you do die, you know you have X time to get through that portal and beat on that
monster, completely immune to any of its effects).

  The idea of only making the player immune to spells at the time was one way to
reduce this abuse, as well as trying to make the time short enough that it would
be difficult for the player to get much of an advantage)

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com