[CF-Devel] Python questions

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Sun Jan 9 16:44:17 CST 2005

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Well 2.1 was what I always am pushing because of Debian. If we stop

      supporting python 2.1 we stop python support in CF for woody - this

      impacts CF servers for the mainstream debian crowd. Although many folks

      use testing or unstable for desktop (including me), I think many folks

      might still use woody for public servers (including me). Sarge uses

      Python 2.3 however so hopefully one day soon this will be resolved.

  Well, it seems there are really two choices:

a) Support python 2.1, but then have things that need 64 bit values be broken
(exp, money, etc).

b) Support only version 2.2 and newer, which may lose support of older platforms
for the python plugin (rest of crossfire would still work fine).

  I think 'b' is the way to go - no reason to try to support older technology
software that may not work really well.  Also, if it is important for those
still using that older software, they could always install a newer version of
python someplace else just for crossfire to use.

  The real problem, of course, is precompiled packages - either you do the
precompiled package with python support, which may have issues with debian, or
you don't, which means people running the latest version have issues (or you two
distributions).

  But I don't even know if anyone is doing precompiled debian packages anyways,
so may not be an issue.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com