[CF-Devel] Python questions

crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com crossfire-devel at archives.real-time.com
Wed Jan 12 01:53:17 CST 2005

Todd Mitchell wrote:

      Well by 'test target' I just meant the generally agreed on version that

      python scripts should be tested out on for inclusion to CVS, not a

      required version of Python for the server. Local and in-house scripts

      naturally don't need to worry about this and should be able to use

      whatever version of python they want/require.   However I think it's a

      good idea for the 'official' scripts to be tested against an agreed on

      version.  As an example I currently test against 2.1 for crossfire and

      can't say that the player log or slotmachines would work in 2.0 or 1.5

      or whatever but they will very likely work with 2.2 or 2.3, however when

      python scripts submitted for Guild system were tested on 2.3 there were

      cases of them not working on metalforge.  Basically I was just looking

      for an agreement something like the 'rules' we use for maps.  This will

      make it easier when people have problems as well - you have a version

      number to give them.  I would rather test scripts against 2.3 than 2.2

      as it is more current (so longer shelf-life)  has some big improvements

      and I think more likely to be installed on someone's system than 2.2.

      I also didn't mean to imply that a check needs to be done on the server

      for a specific python version requirement, I just meant putting a nice

      notice in the INSTALL doc on how to use the configure script to build

      against a specific installation of python if your default system python

      does not work or if you want to keep it seperate.

  Ah ok.

  That makes more sense.

  For testers of scripts, it probably really comes down to 'don't use a version
later than x.y'.  If everyone tests against 2.3 or earlier, it makes it fairly
safe to say that if you have pythong 2.3 or later, you should be good (I'm
presuming python is not going to make incompatible changes).

  However, if we put in such a testing scheme, which IMO we should, it should
also be clearly spelled out in the docs.  Eg, something like 'The python plugin
scripts have been tested against version 2.3 or python.  If you plan to use the
python plugin scripts, we recommend you have at least this version.  Using older
version may work, but is not supported'.

     crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com