No subject

Thu Jan 13 17:53:03 CST 2005

disadvantages.  On the good side, it tries to keep the client's view of
the universe from getting too far ahead of the server's view (e.g.  the
chest/Dragon example above).  The down side is that if enough many
commands are queued quickly enough to overrun the window size, what one
enters is not necessarily what one gets back.  My attempt to issue 50
'search' commands, for example, actually executed some number less than
that (as shown by the error message above)...  with potentially painful
consequences.

Fortunately, the command window size is determined by the client.  The
following describes how to turn this particular knob on the Linux client
(other clients may provide different mechanisms).

The 'help command describes two commands of interest:

    'cwindow N          sets the window size to N (1...127), and
    'savedefaults       creates a .crossfire/defaults file, which
                        will include the command_window setting.

In my case both the client and the server on the same machine, a 32 Mb
486DX4-100 with SuSE Linux 6.4.  For the most part this works
acceptably, but until I cranked the 'cwindow setting up to 40 I was
losing a _lot_ of attempts to stack multiple 'use_skills praying'
commands.  Even at 40, as you can see from the above error messages, I'm
not actually doing all the 'search'ing I _thought_ I was doing, so I'll
probably increase the setting to something in the 60-80 range and
monitor my stderr output.

Hope this helps.

--

My thanks to Mark Wedel, whose comments a few days back started my
research on this.  However, I should point out that any typos,

Frank McKenney

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates
Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887
E-mail: