[crossfire] Telnet support

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jan 22 22:41:49 CST 2005

Mitch Obrian wrote:

      Id like the ability to telnet to a paticular port and

      play crossfire nethack style (perhapse with 3x3 tiles

      rather than 1x1 ascii tiles) we have 16x16 (forground

      and background) color combos to use... acc 1x1 ascii

      tiles would be cool to (whichever..)... also maby put

      in another port to play it like a MUD. This way we'd

      get more players as people have specific ways they

      like to play. Nethack style port would be awome

      because then people could play while in my shell

      server :D.

  What you describe above is an ASCII based client.  If you want one, go and
make one.

  I think for a lot of reasons, development of ASCII clients hasn't gone much of
anywhere.  It is fairly tricky, because there are thousands of graphics in
crossfire, so trying to find ascii codes to show them is very difficult.

  No way will that code ever be in the server - first, as said, it is a client
issue.  It is also a step backwards (From client/server we currently have).  It
also adds a lot of complication and adds new dependencies that the server does
not have.

  Now, if it is too much a bother for players to install an ascii client (if one
was ever developed), a site could certainly have the ascii client get launched
when someone connects to a specific port.  The client would then connect to
whatever server (it wouldn't be hard to make it such that a client is hard bound
to a specific server, such as the one running on the same machine).

  In terms of the 'old' telnet support, that is still there.  Just connect to
port 13327, and type 'oldsocketmode'.  You can then do the various old commands.

      --- Robert Brockway <

      rbrockway at opentrend.net

      > wrote:

     On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Mitch Obrian wrote:

     Was wondering if telnet support in the crossfire

     server could be revialised, or perhapse even code

     nethack-like telnet support into the server so

     players

     who like such styles can connect and play that

     way? It

     could all be done through telnet.

     I liked the old ability to telnet to a particular

     port and talk to people

     playing on the server.  That was cool :)

     Rob

     --

     Robert Brockway B.Sc.

     Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions

     Ltd.

     Phone: 416-669-3073 Email:

      rbrockway at opentrend.net

      http://www.opentrend.net

     OpenTrend Solutions: Reliable, secure solutions to

     real world problems.

     Contributing Member of Software in the Public

     Interest (www.spi-inc.org)

      crossfire at metalforge.org

      http://my.yahoo.com

      crossfire at metalforge.org