[crossfire] Re: Random ideas.

Alex Schultz AlDragon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 18:02:43 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel <

     mwedel at ...

     > writes:

      1) As a dragon player, I find that at some point I just have stat potions

      piling up since I have no real use for them (can't make weapons that are

      usable).  One thought I have would be to allow players to effectively go

      beyond max stats, but only rarely (say 1% chance of each potion you drink

      going up a stat?)  That'd give a little value to those potions.

I have the same issue and I think this would be great, but I'm thinking that
perhaps using a more gradual curve than 1% after normal max would be good.
This change would also be more useful if the cap of 30 for stats even with
equipment was removed, or at least raised.

      2) Does anyone right now really use the magic map command?  One thought I've

      had would be to change it - instead of just sending the colors, it instead

      sends the faces of everything (or maybe limit it to just the floor/wall/other

      non living stuff?)  this would probably make it useful.

Personally, I find it pretty close to useless currently. I'm not sure how useful
sending whole faces would be though, certainly more useful than currently, but I
still don't think I would use it much myself.

Nicolas Weeger <

     nicolas.weeger at ...

     > writes:

      Or we could use'em in some alchemy/smithery/... recipes. Or enchant

      ring/whatever to increase stats?

I think that would also be good to have in addition to Mark's suggestion.

      Also, maybe we could implement automapping? So player knows some maps

      already visited, and keep that knowledge between sessions. Maybe with

      a 'forget' factor, losing some details :)

Interesting idea, the easiest way to do that which I see would be sending the
client and absolute value of it's x and y coords when it enters a map. Currently
the only thing that stops a a client from doing this is the fact that it doesn't
know the coords that it teleported into, and only knows it's reletive position
compared to when it teleported into the map. Then the client could save fog of
war data etc. across multiple exits and entrances and multiple sessions.
The problem with that though, is that it would quite easy to disable any sort of
forget factor, which could be considered unfair by some.

    Alex Schultz (alternative e-mail currently...)