[crossfire] Re: Random ideas.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 4 21:07:57 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      Mark Wedel <

      mwedel at ...

      > writes:

     1) As a dragon player, I find that at some point I just have stat potions

     piling up since I have no real use for them (can't make weapons that are

     usable).  One thought I have would be to allow players to effectively go

     beyond max stats, but only rarely (say 1% chance of each potion you drink

     going up a stat?)  That'd give a little value to those potions.

      I have the same issue and I think this would be great, but I'm thinking that

      perhaps using a more gradual curve than 1% after normal max would be good.

      This change would also be more useful if the cap of 30 for stats even with

      equipment was removed, or at least raised.

  I'm inclined not to raise the cap.  It's basically a never ending max if we
do.  At one point, the maximum for stats was 25.  It was raised to 30 because it
was considered too easy to get all the stats up to 25.

  The problem I see is that if the cap is raised, what do you raise it to?  35?
  50?  One potential issue with a higher cap is that map makers feel there is
less a problem of having items that give bunches of bonuses.  After all, if you
say make the cap 50, an item that gives +10 int wouldn't seem all that
outrageous (you'd need 3 of those to get that 50 int).

  If the cap is raised, then I'd think it would also make sense to follow the
example of AD&Dv3 and make the stats bonuses linear, and not exponential.  Thus,
the advantage of raising the stat is less relevant (if you get an extra +1 dam
from that point of strength, not that big a deal).  With the non linear bonuses,
right now it is highly desirable to get those last extra points because in terms
of dam/sp/grace/whatever, it means a pretty big difference.