[crossfire] license problem with file lib/adm/map_check

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 4 22:02:50 CDT 2005

Kari Pahula wrote:

      This was already discussed on irc, but for record, I'll repeat this to

      the mailing list too.

      File lib/adm/map_check in crossfire has the following license:

      #!/usr/bin/perl

      #

      # (C) Copyright Markus Weber, 1994. All rights reserved.

      #     Permission is granted to use, copy, and modify for non-commercial use.

      #

      I'm not aware of crossfire's licence policy, but at least Debian

      requires that all parts of the programs are usable, copiable and

      modifiable for commercial use too.

      I noticed this so close to the sarge's release that the release

      manager told me to either get this fixed in a few hours or have

      crossfire-server dropped from it.

      Crossfire tarballs are now repackaged in Debian to exclude this file.

      Apparently nothing else used this script, it was just there available

      in case the user wanted to use it directly.

  I'll update the makefiles so as not to include this script by default.  I'll
keep it in CVS, as that shouldn't violate any licenses, and it might still prove
useful to mapmakers.