[crossfire] Re: Map Protocol Question

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Jul 8 18:47:57 CDT 2005

Alex Schultz wrote:

      Sebastian Andersson <

      bofh-lists-crossfire-dev at ...

      > writes:

     Shouldn't the secretive be based on the teleporter used to enter?

     If I enter via the front door, then I would expect it to be pretty

     obvious where I am, but not when entering via a "random" teleporter

     or just jumping around on the same map via a teleporter.

     That would of course make it even harder to update the maps (or perhaps

     some clever program could help here), but I think players would except

     it to work like that.

      Yes, I have thought of that possibility, but as you say, it would make updating

      more difficult, despite the result being a little nicer for the players.

  One problem right now is that inter map exits all basically appear the same,
that is, of type exit.  So within the server code itself, it can't easily detect
correct behaviour (other than have a list of names to look at).

  Now in some cases, even teleporter type exits should be treated differently.
Think of all the shop mats - in those cases, we actually want to suppress the
newmap command - I'd have to think about the way to properly deal with it, but
if you look at the scorn shops, where the map is visible from the shop and vice
versa, it is arguably wasteful to resent the entire map when most seems to be
the same.  But probably no easy way to handle that, so don't worry about.

  But the other point is that there are some maps where for style reasons, you
may want to hide the locations a bit - I'm think of some maps where there are
multiple levels on the same logical map (to deal with things like levers and
buttons ) - while each level is perhaps non secretive, showing the relation to
each other might be ugly.

  OTOH, maybe we jsut live with that.

  Other consideration is how to deal with world maps - I guess teh client could
be smart enough to figure it out.

  One other thought - with the newmap command, for non secretive maps, probably
want to include the mapsize with it.  That way the client could be more clever
about storing away the data after the player leaves and/or figuring out where on
the fogmap it could place this map and not destroy existing data (the idea here
being if you come back to the map, you could get your old fog data back)