[crossfire] Re: AW: Re: AW: About "glue" code

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Fri Jul 15 14:14:30 CDT 2005

Here's my viewpoint on the issue:

-Personally I have a preference towards python (i.e. I personally like the
syntax more)
-Despite the fact that lua would be significantly faster, I believe that python
is plenty fast as it is. For example, a bit ago, I started making some
spellcasting swords where the script has to be called for every attack that the
sword is used in (very fast...), and the worry of used processor power did come
to mind, however in my tests there was not even a 1% CPU usable difference
comparing when the sword is being attacked with and when it isn't.
-Despite my preference to python I do agree with the point that there may be
some that would find lua easier.
-I have heard that lua 4 and lua 5 have some breakage between them, and I know
that there are some other things that require 4 specifically, and I'm not sure
how well all operating systems (counting different linux distros as seperate)
would handle multiple versions. It might work fine, but form my experience with
some similar types of things, in some cases it might not.

Here is what I think would work well:
-Keep the old python bindings, perhaps clean the API up a little too
-Also impliment optional lua bindings

Alex Schultz