[crossfire] Random ideas.

Andreas Kirschbaum kirschbaum at myrealbox.com
Fri Jul 15 15:59:23 CDT 2005

Mark Wedel wrote:

      1) Basing success of potons on overall level to me isn't good - base

      it on the overall stats of the player or something. If I'm a sucky

      player and don't do the right dungeons to get a bunch of potions to

      level 30, I'd hate to effectively be punished for that fact by not

      being able to use those potions.

I was unclear here: the level array has one slow for each level (right
now up to level 10, after my proposed change up to max level). I meant
that (for example) an "improvement potion (lvl 15)" can successfully max
out one slot up to level 15 (probably choose the highest
not-yet-maxed-out slot up to slot 15). That means, it does not matter if
you find such a potion at level 15, or if you are unlucky and find it
not before level 30 -- it always maxes out slot 15 (or below). OTOH, if
you find it when you are still below level 15, it may be useful to save
it for later use.

      2) I'm not sure what increasing the level arrays to 115 really does

      relative to improvment potions, and/or I don't see how that wouldn't

      make characters more powerful.

Here I have to clarify my thoughts, too: of course, I didn't mean to
just increase the level array size and hope nothing changes. Currently
you get 2 hp for each level you gain (beyond level 10). Each slot in the
levhp array maxes out at a value of 9. Therefore, I'd thought to replace

	for(i=11;i<=op->level;i++)
	    op->stats.maxhp+=2;

by something like

	for(i=11;i<=op->level;i++)
	    op->stats.maxhp+=(op->contr->levhp[i]+1)/5;

(And similar changes for levsp and levgrace.)

That means, the character will not become more powerful. He just has to
quaff a suitable improvement potion to actually get the 2 hp for his
newly gained level.

      And the fact that improvement potions loose usefulness isn't as big a

      deal to me as stat potions (the fact that improvement potions show up

      in shops also make me reluctant to make a change - if they are always

      useful, players will always snatch them up. Stat potions OTOH can only

      be found in dungeons)

I see. But is there a reason that improvement potions have to show up in
shops at all?

Or: is there an (easy) means to restrict improvement potions showing up
in shops to have a level not more than 10? That way the really useful
(high-level) improvement potions would show up only in dungeons.

And regarding to the improvement potions being snatched up: that should
be no more a problem than currently, because after some time low-level
improvement potions will not have any effect for you. Therefore
low-level improvement potions should remain being much more available
than high-level ones.