[crossfire] Random ideas.

Mitch Obrian mikeeusaaa at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 16:27:46 CDT 2005

It would be nice to flesh out the shop lists more
rather then having them tied directly to the weapons
etc list. Would be nice to beable to make some things
only appear in shops etc (expensive upperclass items
like ivory this or that).

--- Andreas Kirschbaum <

     kirschbaum at myrealbox.com

wrote:

      Mark Wedel wrote:

      > 1) Basing success of potons on overall level to me

      isn't good - base

      > it on the overall stats of the player or

      something. If I'm a sucky

      > player and don't do the right dungeons to get a

      bunch of potions to

      > level 30, I'd hate to effectively be punished for

      that fact by not

      > being able to use those potions.

      I was unclear here: the level array has one slow for

      each level (right

      now up to level 10, after my proposed change up to

      max level). I meant

      that (for example) an "improvement potion (lvl 15)"

      can successfully max

      out one slot up to level 15 (probably choose the

      highest

      not-yet-maxed-out slot up to slot 15). That means,

      it does not matter if

      you find such a potion at level 15, or if you are

      unlucky and find it

      not before level 30 -- it always maxes out slot 15

      (or below). OTOH, if

      you find it when you are still below level 15, it

      may be useful to save

      it for later use.

      > 2) I'm not sure what increasing the level arrays

      to 115 really does

      > relative to improvment potions, and/or I don't see

      how that wouldn't

      > make characters more powerful.

      Here I have to clarify my thoughts, too: of course,

      I didn't mean to

      just increase the level array size and hope nothing

      changes. Currently

      you get 2 hp for each level you gain (beyond level

      10). Each slot in the

      levhp array maxes out at a value of 9. Therefore,

      I'd thought to replace

      	for(i=11;i<=op->level;i++)

      	    op->stats.maxhp+=2;

      by something like

      	for(i=11;i<=op->level;i++)

      	    op->stats.maxhp+=(op->contr->levhp[i]+1)/5;

      (And similar changes for levsp and levgrace.)

      That means, the character will not become more

      powerful. He just has to

      quaff a suitable improvement potion to actually get

      the 2 hp for his

      newly gained level.

      > And the fact that improvement potions loose

      usefulness isn't as big a

      > deal to me as stat potions (the fact that

      improvement potions show up

      > in shops also make me reluctant to make a change -

      if they are always

      > useful, players will always snatch them up. Stat

      potions OTOH can only

      > be found in dungeons)

      I see. But is there a reason that improvement

      potions have to show up in

      shops at all?

      Or: is there an (easy) means to restrict improvement

      potions showing up

      in shops to have a level not more than 10? That way

      the really useful

      (high-level) improvement potions would show up only

      in dungeons.

      And regarding to the improvement potions being

      snatched up: that should

      be no more a problem than currently, because after

      some time low-level

      improvement potions will not have any effect for

      you. Therefore

      low-level improvement potions should remain being

      much more available

      than high-level ones.

      crossfire at metalforge.org