[crossfire] Quests, continued

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Jul 25 00:24:19 CDT 2005

Nicolas Weeger wrote:

      Hello.

      I'm not totally satisfied of my quest implementation. It's not general

      enough for many things we could think of, and there are some drawbacks

      (like removing all markers on completion).

      Therefore I suggest we don't use that for now, and think of everything

      we'd want to be able to do.

      What I can think of (some stolen from Daimonin):

      * kill a monster

  Yes, and if the player is part of a party, and other party members are on teh
same quest, this should count for them also.

      * collect n items of something

  Can you be more specifc on this?  Does this meaning having n items in your
inventory?  Having picked up that number?  Tkae them someplace?  If the later
case, I'd suggest that quests should be allowed to be connected to other objects
to control what happens (eg, you drop the 5 x on the altar, and it activates the
end quest action because it is linked to that on the same space).  This
flexibility then allows quests to be controlled in a variety of ways.

      * go someplace

  On a basic level, this can be done pretty easily by putting objects on the
spot they need to go to.  However, on a more abstract level, having something
like 'go to navar city' could be harder to do, unless you blanket the entire
town with the appropriate objects, because the player could have numerous ways
of getting there.  This can be remedied to some extent by being very specific
where to go (go to town hall help desk, etc).

      * get an item (from a chest/monster) only if doing quest

  Doe this mean you can only get the item if you are on the quest, or does it
mean it only counts for something if you are doing the quest?  If the later,
that would seem pretty obvious.  This would presumably be basically tied to
pickup item.

  I'd add:
Converse with someone.  Eg, a quest to go tell xyz abc.  This could be done as
above - tied to connected objects, so could be tied to a magic ear.

  To me, what seems to be missing is the entire reward structure:
1) Give object.  Some quests (scorn nobility) quest does this, but can
potentially run out of objects - if done via quests, don't have that problem.

  Also, should have special code to give invisible objects - if player doesn't
have it, it gives them.  Thus, quests could give out skills and spells.
Potentially, there should be some fallback (player already has meteor swarm,
give them 10 potions instead or something).

2) Ability to give exp, and give it into specific skill categories (bring me an
elven bow and I'll teach you more about bowmaking, etc).

3) Ability to give stat/other bonus, up to racial maximums (just like potion).
Resistances could be for everyone or maybe just dragons.  Perhaps have some
constraint (only increase resistance if less than 20 or something).

  Also, from the current quests, I'd say that if the quest is timed but you
don't complete it in time, you should generally be able to restart it.  Ideally,
few quests should be timed, but my concern here is that a player perhaps get
distracted, quests expire, and not player has not chance to redo it.